Winter Home Maintenance Tips:
Preparing your home for winter is an important process for homeowners. Tuning up your major systems and taking precautions well in advance of treacherous weather can save you money and aggravation in the long run. The following winter maintenance tips can help you prepare your home to withstand another cold season here in New York.
- Walk around your home’s exterior and check the crawl space vents located at the foundation. Close any that are open to prevent heat loss and potential water/ice damage.
- Protect your central air conditioning unit from debris with a cover, and remove/store window air conditioners.
- Clean and store garden tools in a dry place like the garage or basement. Do not store fuel in your basement
- Move snow shovels and snow blowers to a convenient spot so you aren’t scrambling with the season’s first snowfall.
- Clear snow and ice from sidewalks and driveways per your local ordinances to avoid slip & fall issues.
- Change or clean furnace filters. You should check your manufacturer instructions for the furnace to determine how frequently the filters should be replaced.
- Clean kitchen appliances inside and out, including refrigerator coils dust and grease can build up and become a fire hazard.
- Maintain clean drains by adding one-half-cup baking soda followed by one-half-cup white vinegar. After 10 minutes, flush with boiling water.
- Add weather stripping around doors and caulk windows to guard against drafts and heat loss. Most hardware stores sell kits to insulate windows.
Taking a few of the above precautions before winter is in full swing can help protect you and your family from potential hazards and costly repairs. For more information about how to protect your family, contact the Skeele Agency, Inc. today to discuss our affordable insurance policies.